Made this mexican bun last Friday for my hubby and our little cheeky daughter..
source : Mamafami fp.. thanks ma!
Filling Ingredients :
100g salted butter ~ softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
35 g brown sugar
1. Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed using the paddle attachment for three minutes.
2. Add in vanilla essence and brown sugar. Beat till creamy.
3. Regrigerate the mixture until firm.
4. Divide mixture into 20g portion ball. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Topping Ingredients :
65 g butter ~ softened
55 g icing sugar ~ sifted
1 Grade A egg ~ lightly beaten
1/3 teaspoon coffee flavouring ( * I use mocha paste + indocafe )
**or you can use 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 3/4 teaspoon water
65 g cake flour ~ sifted
1. Beat butter and icing sugar using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 5 minutes until mixture is light and fluffy.
2. Gradually beat in egg.
3. Add in coffee flavouring.
4. Sift flour into mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
5. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Sweet Dough Ingredients :
250 g high protein flour ~ sifted
2.5 g bread improver ~ sifted
2.5 g bread softener
10 g milk powder ~ sifted
38 g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 egg ~ lightly beaten
135 g water or milk (do not use milk powder if using milk)
30 g butter ~ softened
1. Mix sifted flour, bread improver, bread softener, milk powder, sugar, salt, instant yeast and egg in a mixer bowl.
2. On the mixer (with dough hook) on low speed.
Pour in the 3/4 of the liquid, a little at a time.
3. Add in the butter and pour the balance liquid if needed. Knead till dough is soft, smooth and elastic (not sticky).
4. Divide dough into 55 g portions. You should get about 9 portions.
5. Roll each portion into a ball. Cover the balls of dough and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Flatten the dough and place a portion of filling in the center of the dough.
7. Gather the edge and pinch to seal. Make sure to seal well or the filling will leak out during baking.
8. Place on a greased baking tray. Repeat with remaining portions of dough. Place each bun about 7.5 cm apart on the baking tray.
9. Prove for 45 minutes in a warm place or until doubled the size.
10. Pipe the topping on the buns in a spiral, starting from the centre.
11. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 C for 12 - 15 minutes or until bun are lightly brown.
**Note : Amount of liquid used may vary depends on the flour you used.